Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Taste Of Chicago Weekend


One if the things that has been on my list of things to do for many years has been going toTaste Of Chicago. It always conflicted with our camping week, so it was never really an option. This year though I decided to leave for camping on Monday and spent the weekend in my favorite US city eating some awesome food at Taste with my BFF Becky and my daughter Megan.



Oh, was I glad we didn't make it a day trip! When we arrived by train on Saturday, we were greated with a major downpour of rain. Even though we came prepared with umbrellas, just the run from the overhang in the front of the station to the cab left us soaked! 
We waited at the hotel for the rain to subside. It didn't take long to end and we walked over to the site of Taste only to find that it had been cancelled due to the rain!! Disappointing as this was, we decided the only logical thing to do was to hit the stores.
Several hours later and a few dollars poorer, we took the red line up to see Blue Man Group. Fabulous show which I highly recommend!


Sunday we woke to news that yes, Taste would be going on. After meeting my friends Erin and her Sister Robin at Wildberry by Millenium Park for breakfast (I seriously recommend this place for the most mouthwatering pancakes ever. Just be prepared to wait! No reservations accepted), we walked over to Taste and bought our tickets for sampling the food. The bad thing was after such a great breakfast, we knew we were not going to be very hungry.



It turned out to be a hot humid day but that didn't stop us from sampling some awesome food. My favorite was the truffle fries, and the yummy creme brûlée cupcake from Chicago Cupcake. If you've never had one before, it's a cross between a cupcake and cheesecake. Fabulous. We also stood in line to get the free piece of cheesecake from the ginormous Eli's cheesecake. I had to get my picture taken with their mascot!!





It was hot and crowded so after a couple of hours we had enough. After the disappointment in Saturday, Sunday more than made up for it. 

As always it was a fun weekend even with the rain putting a little damper on Saturday, but all in all we didn't care. I got my fill of great food and another thing crossed off my bucket list!

No comments:

Post a Comment