Sunday, August 28, 2011

My Dukan Diet adventure. Part 1

I knew it was time to get serious about losing that 25 pounds I have been watching creep up on me for awhile now. We have a wedding in October and I have a black fitted dress that I found at Ann Taylor back in May that I got from the clearance rack. A steal at $12.00. I'm the type of girl who cannot pass up a bargain at Ann Taylor even though the dress was a little snug on me. The time clearly has come that if I want to look good in that dress without a full body corset, I needed to trim down right away. Let's just say that summer has not been good for my waistline. Too many treats, wine and eating out has left me with a summer gain of 10 extra pounds.

Normally I just try and watch what I eat and hit the gym more than usual, but clearly that was not working. I would be fine for about 2 weeks and something would happen, a big stressor at work, or just a busy week and I find I can't say no to any sweet in front of me. Yes, I am a self confessed sugar addict. My bad habits have been hard to break and have rubbed off on my daughter.

I decided to reserve a copy of The Dukan Diet book from my library. The only things I really knew about it was the diet was developed from a French doctor and it was very popular in France. This was reason enough for me to check it out. My obsession for all things French and Parisian includes how the French eat and stay slim and how they diet. Plus I heard this was the diet Kate Middleton and her Mom did before her infamous royal wedding.



I now have that copy in my possession. I eagerly started to read it. Basically it is based on a four part plan. The first phase is the hardest phase and lasts up to 10 days depending on how much you want to lose. In this phase you eat just lean protein. This is a kick start phase when you lose weight fast to give you incentive to keep going. The second phase is when you reintroduce foods back into your diet. You stay on this phase until you reach your predetermined goal weight. The third phase is when you add more foods back and the fourth is when you go back to eating what you want, but no second helpings and you have one day a week where you do the lean protein only.


I won't get into the details on the Dukan Diet just yet, there will be more time for that later.

I had done the Atkins diet years ago with great success, or maybe not, since I have not been able to keep the weight off. Dukan is different in that the strict protein phase is much shorter. All I know is that I have developed some nasty eating habits and am looking to drastically change direction before I end up with some real health issues.

I'm sure it will not be an easy road and there will be some bumps along the way. All I know is since I am such a francophile I am willing to do as the French do and lose weight the Dukan way!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment